East Stroudsburg University Athletics

FACEBOOK TWITTER
Header official Header logo
Jack Gregory, Denny Douds, Jake Piatt
Gregory-Douds Field at Eiler-Martin Stadium and the Dr. Jake Piatt '61 President's Box will be dedicated on Saturday, Oct. 30.
Bookmark and Share
EAST STROUDSBURG – East Stroudsburg University is pleased to announce the naming and dedications of the playing surface and the President's Box at Eiler-Martin Stadium in conjunction with the Warriors' home football game against Cheyney on Saturday, October 30, 2010.

The playing surface will be dedicated as Gregory-Douds Field at Eiler-Martin Stadium to commemorate the long-standing service of former head football coach Jack Gregory '52 and current head coach Denny Douds.

The President's Box will be named in memory of Dr. Cummings A. “Jake” Piatt '61 as the “Dr. Jake Piatt '61 President's Box”. Piatt, a 2007 inductee to the ESU Athletic Hall of Fame, was a four-year starter for the Warriors' football program from 1957-60. He returned to the university as a professor in 1991 and was named Chair of the Professional and Secondary Education Department in 2001. Dr. Piatt passed away in January 2008.

Gregory is considered the father of modern-day football at East Stroudsburg, leading his teams to a 49-11-2 record for a program-record .806 winning percentage in seven seasons from 1959-65. His 1964 and 1965 teams won Pennsylvania Conference championships, beating Indiana (Pa.) in both title games, and were 18-1 over his final two seasons as head coach. The 1962 team also won conference's Eastern division championship and played Slippery Rock in the State Game.

Douds, a standout two-way lineman on Slippery Rock's 1962 team, joined the East Stroudsburg coaching staff in 1966 and took over as the eighth head coach in program history in 1974. In the past 37 years, Douds has led the Warriors to nine PSAC Eastern Division titles, four NCAA Division II Playoff appearances, and holds the PSAC record with 227 career victories entering this weekend. His 1975, 1978 and 1982 teams won state titles, the 1976 team tied for the crown, and the Warriors' 2005 squad won the NCAA's Northeast Region championship and set the school record with 11 victories.

The dedications of both the playing surface and President's Box were made possible through the generosity and financial commitments of Mrs. Trudy Piatt, the cooperation of private donors, financial support from East Stroudsburg University and the ESU Foundation.

Several events will be held on October 30, beginning with the unveiling of the Warriors Plaza at the entrance to Eiler-Martin Stadium at 12 p.m. The Warriors will recognize their football scholarship donors and recipients prior to the 1 p.m. kickoff. Halftime festivities will include the dedication of the Dr. Jake Piatt '61 President's Box.

The dedication of the playing surface will be held following the game and will include recognition of Coach Gregory and Coach Douds. A private reception will be held immediately following the field dedication in the Keystone Room.
Print Friendly Version
Football
ESU to Dedicate Eiler-Martin Stadium Playing Surface, President’s Box on Saturday
EAST STROUDSBURG – East Stroudsburg University is pleased to announce the naming and dedications of the playing surface and the President’s Box at Eiler-Martin Stadium in conjunction with the Warriors’ home football game against Cheyney on Saturday, October 30, 2010.